[OSGeo-Edu] A question on potential readings for a set of grad students on open source

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Fri Oct 8 08:37:28 EDT 2010

  OSGeo edu colleagues,

Three things:

1) An apology again for my lack of consistent leadership. I have a
serious family health issue going on that has been needing my attention.
But it has raised the question as to whether it is time for me to step
down in my role as this group's chair, and we bring in some new
leadership energy. I'm willing to stay on, but am not happy with my
performance and wonder if the group would be better served with someone
new who has more time. Should we hold an election?

2) I'm going to present to a graduate student seminar about OS
Geospatial issues and technologies. I need to put together a reading
list. I thought it might be interesting to solicit from this group
suggestions for what this reading list might be. Send me any ideas (and
links) to resources and I'll compile and send the results out to the group.

3) I'm going to continue working on the desktop GIS handbook over the
next few months. Remember these links?

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Desktop_GIS_exercises
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_GIS_lab_exercises

Anyone have any other additions or contributions?

Thanks