[OSGeo-Edu] A question on potential readings for a set of grad students on open source

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Fri Oct 8 16:05:40 EDT 2010

Ari Jolma led what I thought turned out to be a very nice paper on the open
source software stack applied to environmental modeling. That might be a
good one for your students who have any kind of earth science bent. - Dan

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Charlie Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>wrote:

>  OSGeo edu colleagues,
>
> Three things:
>
> 1) An apology again for my lack of consistent leadership. I have a serious
> family health issue going on that has been needing my attention. But it has
> raised the question as to whether it is time for me to step down in my role
> as this group's chair, and we bring in some new leadership energy. I'm
> willing to stay on, but am not happy with my performance and wonder if the
> group would be better served with someone new who has more time. Should we
> hold an election?
>
> 2) I'm going to present to a graduate student seminar about OS Geospatial
> issues and technologies. I need to put together a reading list. I thought it
> might be interesting to solicit from this group suggestions for what this
> reading list might be. Send me any ideas (and links) to resources and I'll
> compile and send the results out to the group.
>
> 3) I'm going to continue working on the desktop GIS handbook over the next
> few months. Remember these links?
>
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Desktop_GIS_exercises
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_GIS_lab_exercises
>
> Anyone have any other additions or contributions?
>
> Thanks
> Charlie

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences