[OSGeo-Edu] A question on potential readings for a set of grad students on open source

Ian Turton ijturton at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 15:14:24 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Charlie Schweik
<cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback so far to my OS seminar readings request, folks.
>
> On 10/8/2010 4:05 PM, Daniel Ames wrote:
>
> Ari Jolma led what I thought turned out to be a very nice paper on the open
> source software stack applied to environmental modeling. That might be a
> good one for your students who have any kind of earth science bent. - Dan
>
> Anybody have a link to Ari's paper? Ari? ;-)
>
> Basically I am trying to do a guest session in a "Readings in GIS" seminar
> to introduce grad students on open source in general, and OS geospatial in
> particular.  I imagine many on this list could/should have a need for such
> an opening reading list.
>
> First, I'd like to introduce them to the issue of open source and a policy
> shift toward open source technologies. If anyone knows of articles that
> describe the pros for a shift to open source, please send me
> links/citations. If anyone knows too of any articles making points against
> OS, send those too. I'd like to at least show two sides of the argument,
> even though obviously, I am a proponent of open source.

We use a couple of useful papers in our GIS Design class
(https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog583/node/59), One is by Arnulf on
Free Software and Open Source Business Models
(https://www.e-education.psu.edu/drupal6/sites/www.e-education.psu.edu.geog583/files/OpenSourceBusinessModels.pdf)
and the other "Free and open source geographic information tools for
landscape ecology" by Stefan Steiniger & Geoffrey J. Hay
(http://www.geo.uzh.ch/%7Esstein/finalpub/steiniger_geographic_information_tools_ecoinf2009.pdf)

Ian

--
Ian Turton