[OSGeo-Edu] A question on potential readings for a set of grad students on open source

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Sat Oct 9 22:02:32 EDT 2010

  On 10/9/2010 3:14 PM, Ian Turton wrote:
> We use a couple of useful papers in our GIS Design class
> (https://www.e-education.psu.edu/geog583/node/59), One is by Arnulf on
> Free Software and Open Source Business Models
> (https://www.e-education.psu.edu/drupal6/sites/www.e-education.psu.edu.geog583/files/OpenSourceBusinessModels.pdf)
> and the other "Free and open source geographic information tools for
> landscape ecology" by Stefan Steiniger&  Geoffrey J. Hay
> (http://www.geo.uzh.ch/%7Esstein/finalpub/steiniger_geographic_information_tools_ecoinf2009.pdf)

Thanks Ian and others -- these are great suggestions. If anyone has
other ideas related to "key readings (or presentation videos, even) for
an introduction to open source geospatial for graduate students" keep
sending them on. I'll compile the list and send it back to the group
when I am done.

By the way, for people who are interested, you can find a preprint
version of Ari Jolma and colleagues paper (Free and Open Source
Geospatial Tools for Environmental Modelling and Management) using
Google Scholar...

CHeers
Charlie