[OSGeo-Edu] Re: [OSGeo-Discuss] Open Source Geospatial Foundationand Centre for Geospatial Science Sign MoU

Daniel Ames dan.ames at isu.edu
Tue Sep 28 19:26:36 EDT 2010

Tyler... You could charge universities a small annual membership fee for
such a consortium which would then have some benefit back to the university
and could generate a small pot of money to help with operating the academic
aspects of the journal... - Dan

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 4:17 PM, Tyler Mitchell <tmitchell.osgeo at shaw.ca>wrote:

> Suchith wrote:
> > I strongly support this. Having a network of OSGeo affliated
> > universities and research institutions across the world should
> > be our next aim.  There is already good representation of
> > people from various universities in the list, so we have a good
> > place to start building this. Today's students are tommorow's
> > GIS leaders and hence the importance of OSGeo Education Network.
>
> I am in full support of this as well.  There have been a few people talking
> to me about such an idea and the opportunities for the future are only still
> beginning to crystalise in my mind.  The OSGeo Academic Consortium ...
> hmmm...   If all members were institutional in nature and were able to bring
> something to the table - ie. like CGS internship idea or staff time, then I
> think there'd be some easy opportunities to see some benefit.
>
> Anyway, just a bit of brainstorming...
>
> Tyler

Daniel P. Ames, Ph.D. PE
Associate Professor, Geosciences