[OSGeo-Edu] Denver "Content Sprint" ideas

Charlie Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Mon Feb 21 11:01:28 EST 2011

Hi folks,

Related to the "Edu Content Sprint" for the Denver conference.  I'd like
to propose a goal to this group. I think we can achieve this goal and
move us collectively forward.

Last year, there was the suggestion to develop "exercise workbooks" that
provided material for all of the different OS options. That is, similar
exercises for each of the different OS Desktop GIS packages, or Web
packages. I started these two wiki pages but not much has happened since
then:

1)   OS desktop GIS exercises
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Desktop_GIS_exercises)
2)   Web-based GIS exercises
(http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Web_GIS_lab_exercises)

I think we should start with some exercises of the basics. I have a
bunch of exercises for desktop GIS I am using for my undergraduate
Spatial Technologies class based on QGIS that uses freely available data
from our state GIS agency, MassGIS (www.mass.gov/mgis). The list on #1
above lists some of these.

Following what the group was interested in doing from our discussion
last fall, I think we should try and build these and see if we can get a
set using the same exercise concepts for the other desktop packages.

The idea would be that we would:

A) Develop the template format for all of these exercises to take. My
strong preference would be to use Open Office (.odt) as the format
because it would be the easiest to use for the broadest group of
potential contributors. Some will remember we looked into other formats
several years ago and that effort didn't go anywhere.

B) Start inventorying exercises that people have already for different
desktop and web packages. Those will be our "raw material" for
conversion to the standard template structure. One requirement  would be
that they use publicly available datasets that can be downloaded from
the web.

The idea is that we do as much as we can between now and Denver working
with the above wiki pages (and possibly using Subversion for content),
and then in Denver we fill in the cracks/fix things that need fixing.

Reactions? Does this seem like the right direction for the "Content
Sprint"? Whose willing to join this effort?

I'm willing to "co-lead" this, but would like to establish a
subcommittee to help me. Any takers?

Cheers