[OSGeo-Edu] Fwd: First version of the Free GIS Book

Victor Olaya volayaf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 03:38:12 EST 2011

Cameron,

thanks for offering your help. I was thinking about using some
computer-aided translation software like OmegaT. I have no experience
with them, but some people told me about them, and they seem to be a
good idea for handling such a big text. Also, they make it easier to
update the translation (if I change a few phrases in the spanish
original version, they will tell you which paragraphs correspond to
those changed ones in the english version, so you can anytime know
which parts of the translated text are outdated). However, the idea of
using a spreadsheet is great, and definitely very practical

Regarding how to split the text, I have used LaTeX to create it, and
each chapter has its own text file. Since it is plain text, I think
that using SVN would be a great idea, so several translators can work
on the same file without any problem, knowing what someone else has
done since the last edit (the translation software will tell him about
this, as long as all translators of a file use the same software)

What do you think about this?

Thanks in advance!

Victor