[OSGeo-Edu] Academic Event

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 08:33:42 EST 2011

On 10/26/2011 01:13 PM, Lluís Vicens wrote:

> Otherwise, maybe we can plan a «working meeting» in Girona (March
> 2012) in order to share ideas and experiences and to work together to
> choose a funding program, and start to work to organize a Edu-meeting
> in 2013 (scope, needs, actions, attendants, workshops, ...) and to get
> the real interest for a meeting like that, and to know who really
> wants to be involved... Even without a funding program, universities
> and institutions can be able to send a delegate for one or two days in
> Girona in order to attend a « preparatory working meeting». Then we
> can share and present this project during the Spanish foss4g meeting
> (Jornadas de SIG Libre).

The link to the Spanish foss4g meeting is

More info (in Spanish):
http://sigserver4.udg.edu/wiki_jornadas/index.php/Anuncio_3

The deadline for abstracts is next Monday (21st). I have an idea for an
abstract for a thing that I'd like to present and a student of mine
would also be interested. However, the most important thing would be the
working meeting for OSGeo edu. In addition, I would be very interested
in a workshop/code sprint to look into developing and packaging
edu-oriented materials for the OSGeo live DVD/virtual machine.

The biggest question is, would we get a reasonable crowd to Girona in
March? Girona is good for us since flights to Barcelona are cheap
(current cheapest prices are 131 euros for the dates of the conference).

Cheers,

Ari

--
Professor Ari Jolma