[OSGeo-Edu] Academic Event

Charles Schweik cschweik at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 09:54:53 EST 2011

Hi all,

My apologies for not yet scheduling our virtual call. It's been on my to-do
list. I think this shows that it is probably time for me to step down as
chair. I am being asked to do too much other service at my university and
just can't find the time. This group is important and needs more consistent
leadership than I've been able to provide this year. I enjoy trying to help
us as a group move forward so it is hard for me to say this, but clearly
I'm not finding the time to do what this job needs.

Later today or tomorrow I'm going to post a doodle poll with some potential
dates/times for next week for a virtual call.

I don't believe there is a formal rule for how to name a new chair of the
group. Should we do nominations and then I'll tally votes?

Finally, might we consider a couple designated more formal positions (e.g.,
co-chairs?)? In my university we get some "points" in our annual reviews
for external service to the discipline. It probably is true for many others
on this list too. I wonder if by establishing a couple more formal
positions for the education group that faculty on this list could put down
as disciplinary leadership on their CVs that might help some of us put more
regular time in our activities. Reactions?

Cheers,

Charlie