[OSGeo-Edu] Formal Edu Committee Membership list and chair

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Dec 4 07:01:11 PST 2012

Hi Daniel,

Yes, right now it is still me chairing the committee. But it might make
sense to move to a more formal election for the Edu group. There's probably
someone out there who might do a better job than I've been doing leading
the group.

Our group progress as a group right now has been more off-line in terms of
grant proposal writing and initiatives. I'm hoping that 2013 will bring a
few major developments for our group as a result of these activities.

Edu members:

I am starting to draft an US NSF proposal to support the international
network of FOSS4G educational centers building on the efforts of Suchith
and Phil Davis and the others forming in that network. Hopefully will make
progress this month after our semester ends. I will need letters of support
from various nodes in the network.

Cheers

Charlie

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Seven <seven at arnulf.us> wrote:

> Am 2012-12-4 05:08, schrieb Daniel Morissette:
> > Edu List/Committee,
> >
> > In my quest to find the Education Committee chair to ping him/her
> > directly for help with the IRS questions (see other thread), I was
> > surprised to find that we do not seem to have traces of a formal
> > Edu committee with formally elected voting members (like we have
> > for other OSGeo committees). Is that really the case or did I just
> > overlook this very important information?
> >
> > I always thought that Charlie Schweik was the Edu chair but cannot
> > find that information written anywhere...
>
> Hi Daniel,
> it is prominently visible on our stable documents server:
> http://www.osgeo.org/content/foundation/board_and_officers.html
> But you are right, we should also reflect this on the Wiki web pages.
>
> Cheers,
> Arnulf
>
> > ... /me digs a little further
> >
> > Actually, I just found the following page that seems to be the home
> > of the Edu Committee:
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Education_Committee
> >
> > ... which in turn points to a list of self-elected participants:
> >
> > http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Education_Contributors
> >
> > And in this list Charlie Schweik is identified as chair (you need a
> > good eye to find that information). Is this indeed the list of
> > members who make decisions on this committee?
> >
> > If that's the case, then perhaps at least the chair should be
> > listed more prominently in the main Education_Committee page so
> > that we know where to find him/her when needed.
> >
> > Now, with such a list of contributors, I am confident that we can
> > answer the IRS questions in no time!  ;-)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > Daniel _______________________________________________ Edu_discuss
>

> - --
> http://arnulf.us
> Exploring Space, Time and Mind

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Department of Environmental Conservation - http://eco.umass.edu
Center for Public Policy and Administration - http://masspolicy.org
Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government - http://ncdg.org
Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545
Outsmart Invasive Species project: http://masswoods.net/outsmart