[OSGeo-Edu] Help with IRS 501(c)(3) question

Charles Schweik cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu
Tue Dec 4 07:20:27 PST 2012

Hi Dan,

Too many emails coming in from all my students with the end of our semester
at hand. This one got by me.

On Mon, Dec 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM, Daniel Morissette <dmorissette at mapgears.com
> wrote:

> Any taker to help answer the questions and demonstrate our education focus
> to the IRS? A coordinated response from the members of this group would be
> ideal.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

>> 5. Your website states that you provide support for the use of OSGeo
>> software in education via curriculum development, outreach and support.
>> Please explain what this entails.

For several years (beginning around 2007) we did develop a first cut at an
educational inventory system. Tyler Mitchell developed a web form and
database that allowed members to post metadata on educational material that
they had developed. We had (and have) a searchable database online of that
work.

Since then, we have been trying to go the next step and build a repository
of actual content, creative commons licensed, and stored so that others can
download the content and create new derivatives. Imagine someone
translating material or updating something for a new version. We set up a
Subversion system a few years back but that didn't really catch on.  This
is harder to build than just asking people to post metadata. It requires
more time by each author and a commitment to share materials and make them
available. We've gone back and forth about developing standard structures
and file formats for this content in the way Cameron does with the Live
DVD.

Suchith Anad at the University of Nottingham has built a next-generation
system that we were trying to migrate to. He might be able to tell us more
about the status of that.

I haven't been successful in trying to get a better or more streamlined
conversation with OSGeo local groups on their educational activities
locally. There is an opportunity there, I think.

Cameron Shorter has long been advocating for a "tighter" educational
curriculum system that mimics the production of the Live DVD. I totally see
and appreciate his vision and his proof in the Live DVD production process.
This is a collective action issue, and also requires more leadership time
than I've been able to devote. This is also an opportunity.

Most recently, a few of us (Helena, Phil Davis at the GeoTech Center in
Texas, myself) have been working on grant proposals to establish a standard
set of FOSS4G eduational material. One US NSF grant proposal is submitted
(Davis, PI). One went to Hewlett Packard and was declined. I'm starting
another now that will help support the vision above and hopefully support
better international coordination, such as face-to-face meetings, perhaps.
Suchith and the University of Nottingham have really led in the
coordination of educational nodes. I have some new content for the OSGeo
edu webpage that Suchith just sent me which I will put up in the next day
or two.

In short, the OSGEo edu group is a collection of educators from a variety
of different international educational institutions and we do have strong
social capital. Many of us have communicated via this list for many years.

6. Your website refers to both the OSGeo Educational Content Inventory
>> and the OSGeo Education and Curriculum Project. Are these separate
>> programs? Please explain.

They overlap and reflect activities that are a little old. The above
explains where we are now. I need to update the educational pages to
reflect where we are now.

>> 7. With respect to the inventory and project referred above, is all of
>> the information contributed by volunteers? Do you monitor the content
>> contributed or take other actions to monitor and maintain the inventory
>> and/or project? Please explain.

Yes, volunteer contributions. I used to post periodic reminders to add
metadata but haven't done so this past year. Part of that is because of our
shift toward the U of Nottingham repository.

>> 8. The OSGeo Educational Content Inventory contains educational
>> material. Is the content of the inventory limited to materials related
>> to the software you sponsor or is it pertinent to other geospatial
>> software? Please explain.

It probably depends on the particular links provided by whoever posted it.

>> 9. You state that you have an online training material database that
>> students can use to find material for self-study. Is this the material
>> that has been contributed to the OSGeo Educational Content inventory? If
>> not, please explain.

I believe that is referring to the Content Inventory page. My hope is that
2013 will bring a new era to this system as the U of Nottingham network
continues to be refined and also if some of these grant proposals come in.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Cheers
Charlie Schweik

> --
> Daniel Morissette
> http://www.mapgears.com/
> Provider of Professional MapServer Support since 2000

Charlie Schweik

Associate Professor, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
Department of Environmental Conservation - http://eco.umass.edu
Center for Public Policy and Administration - http://masspolicy.org
Associate Director, National Center for Digital Government - http://ncdg.org
Author, Internet Success: A Study of Open Source Software (MIT Press, 2012)
- see http://tinyurl.com/d3e4545
Outsmart Invasive Species project: http://masswoods.net/outsmart