[OSGeo-Edu] Fwd: Re: [Ica-osgeo-labs] OGC Schools at GitHub

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sat Aug 3 14:08:37 PDT 2013

fwd with subscribed address...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [Ica-osgeo-labs] OGC Schools at GitHub
Date: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 13:56:12 -0700
From: Alex Mandel <aimandel at ucdavis.edu>
To: Charles Schweik <cschweik at pubpol.umass.edu>
CC: Maria Brovelli <maria.brovelli at diiar-topo.polimi.it>,
"ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org" <ica-osgeo-labs at lists.osgeo.org>,
edu_discuss at lists.osgeo.org

There are several layers of complexity here, some of which the OSGeo edu
committee has discussed somewhat in depth before.

1. Picking a markup language/toolset for writing documents. Examples
include Markdown, Latex, RST, etc ....

2. Managing a catalog and tracking resources. Debate over where the
happy medium is between distributed and centralized systems.

3. Making it easy for others to create derivative works.

I see this github discussion as breaking down into:
1. A github org account under which people can add material, if you
don't do it under an org account it will be fairly impossible to
comprehensively list all the submissions. This might not be necessary if
everyone submits to http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/xmlui/handle/url/99
I'm not sure this tool can handle linking to repos instead of actual files.

2. Picking a markup language or at least suggesting the best choices.
RST used in combination with Sphinx is quite popular, you host the files
on github (*.rst) and the use Sphinx yourself or ReadTheDocs.org to
generate human readable stuff.
Example:
Rendered Content
http://www.qgisworkshop.org/html/workshop/index.html
Original Source
https://github.com/cugos/qgisworkshop_org

2a. Is a markup language too hard to use? to hard to convert to pdf for
printing needs?

3. Is version control too complicated? We hit this before in the OSGeo
Edu group. The advantage of just using github, bitbucket or any other
hosting platform is that each repo is one lesson or closely related set
of lessons initiated by the author. They don't need to take fixes
(anyone can fork the source), but can if they want.

----

My opinion, do not create a new system. If you want a central place to
list materials, OSGeo Edu has already created that. I do think it needs
to be modified to include urls to web versions and source repos.
http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/xmlui/handle (note this is slated to
replace http://www.osgeo.org/educational_content)

Want to use github, yes we can write a short explanation of how to go
about doing it... rather use bitbucket, sure use it, sourceforge, google
code etc.... what version control system is used is personal preference.
Rather go the pure github way, people are probably thinking of
http://pages.github.com/ which would use Github flavored markdown or
pure html. I think the other feature people are really interested in is
the forking support directly on github that makes derivates easier to
track. Can we recommend a platform? Sure, but I hesitate to state it's
the only way.

Can we suggest a preferred markup language? Yes, I suggest rst, so many
OSGeo projects are already using it (e.g. OSGeo Live, Geoserver,
Mapserver, etc), it is considered simpler than latex however it is
somewhat trickier to make pdf/printed material since it's a web 1st
technology. That said some good pdf templates are possible and we could
collaborate on those.

--
Alex Mandel

Geography Graduate Group
http://ggg.ucdavis.edu
Information Center for the Environment (ICE)
http://ice.ucdavis.edu
University of California, Davis