[OSGeo-Edu] [OSGeo-Discuss] Maps and the Geospatial Revolution from Jul 17th 2013 at Coursera

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 13:17:55 PDT 2013

Hi Anthony,
As per emails below, you can see that people have been talking about
your "Maps and the Geospatial Revolution" course within the Open Source
Geospatial communities.

Are you aware of the OSGeo-Live USB/DVD/Virtual Machine?
http://live.osgeo.org
OSGeo-Live provides a distribution of 50 of the best Geospatial Open
Source applications all preinstalled and configured with sample data,
ready for use in courses such as yours. It also includes Project
Overviews and Quickstarts for all these applications:
http://live.osgeo.org/en/overview/overview.html

I'm CCing the OSGeo Education email list, which are also doing great
things. In particular, they have been building up a network of Open
Source Geospatial Labs within Universities around the world.

On 28/06/2013 10:50 PM, Rick Smith wrote:
> Myself and two colleagues are currently running a (mini)MOOC on
> geospatial technology.  We are using QGIS for two of the labs and
> indiemapper for two of the labs  We chose QGIS because we wanted to
> keep the 'Open' in MOOC truly open.  indiemapper is not open source,
> but it is free to use and there is no push for signing up for accounts
> or paying for services, so we think maybe it is little 'o' open  :)
>
> Anyway, if interested, view
> http://catalyst-academy.org/course/geospatial-tech-for-stemx-learning/
>  and you can sign up for free at:
> *https://canvas.instructure.com/enroll/KK6JML
> <https://webmail.tamucc.edu/owa/redir.aspx?C=AC1eOI7a4kWyYoJN_gLUyI_cUUyQR9AI-WUGtL9ubS9qdamfDQFC_PqgbX6eM1v-Oy6o2IM0nd8.&URL=https%3a%2f%2fcanvas.instructure.com%2fenroll%2fKK6JML>*
>
> Cheers,
> -Rick
> http://gisc.tamucc.edu
>

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 1:25 AM, Jorge Gaspar Sanz Salinas
> <jsanz at osgeo.org <mailto:jsanz at osgeo.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 28 June 2013 01:45, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net
>     <mailto:mateusz at loskot.net>> wrote:
>     > Folks,
>     >
>     > I thought there may be interest here:
>     >
>     > https://www.coursera.org/course/maps
>     >
>     > --
>     > Mateusz  Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net
>
>     Thanks for sharing
>
>     It's funny that this course relies only on a privative online mapping
>     platform, with the massive amount of free software and data resources
>     for learning available out there. I'd love to see a Coursera/or any
>     other MOOC using OSGeo Live!!
>
>     Cheers
>     --
>     Jorge Sanz