[El] x86_64 builds?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Dec 14 22:56:13 EST 2010

Folks,

This is slightly off topic for this list, but hopefully someone will
indulge me.

I'm trying to build from EPEL and ELGIS repositories for the x86_64
platform and running into problems I don't see on i386.

For instance, if I do "yum install hdf-devel" I end up getting the i368
and x86_64 packages installed.

[warmerda at centos53_64 gdal]$ sudo yum install hdf-devel
Password:
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
  * epel: mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
  * base: mirror.fdcservers.net
  * updates: centos.mirror.netelligent.ca
  * extras: www.gtlib.gatech.edu
  * addons: mirrors.rit.edu
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package hdf-devel.x86_64 0:4.2.5-1.el5 set to be updated
---> Package hdf-devel.i386 0:4.2.5-1.el5 set to be updated
--> Finished Dependency Resolution

Dependencies Resolved

  Package            Arch            Version                 Repository     Size
Installing:
  hdf-devel          x86_64          4.2.5-1.el5             epel          497 k
  hdf-devel          i386            4.2.5-1.el5             epel          480 k

Transaction Summary
Install      2 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)

Furthermore, there does not appear to be any effort to install the binaries
in distinct directories so in my case I end up with the 64bit version of
the libraries in /usr/lib being overwritten with the 32bit version.

I haven't reviewed closely, but I have only noticed this happening
with the EPEL packages.  Note that the i368 packages are actually
coming from the x86_64 directory.

eg.
http://mirror.its.dal.ca/pub/epel/5/x86_64/

Advice welcome...