[El] gdal-1.7.3-3_0 in elgis-testing: gdal-java installing properly

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Wed Dec 15 07:34:42 EST 2010

> Can you please put some more lights on why do you want to have both
> i386 and x86_64 bit packages on the same machine?

The default approach on CentOS (and upstream, see
http://bit.ly/hzLWPF) is to install both the i386 and x86_64 packages
(it is not systematic though, and as far as I could observe, libraries
are often provided for the two arch while higher-level apps not
necessarily).

EPEL typically provides gdal v1.4.2 for both arch.

So, in general I tried to keep the same approach than EPEL in ELGIS
(to facilitate merging of the efforts), especially when "upgrading"
some of their packages.
Almost all the packages in the x86_64 ELGIS repos are provided for
both arch (we simply copy the i386 packages from the i386 directories
to the x86_64 directories when releasing).

Except:
elgis: grass*, postgis* (and now, temporarily gdal*)
elgis-plus: qgis*
because I encountered some conflicts and did not bother since they
were relatively high-level apps (this could be discussed for postgis,
but nobody ever complained).

The problem with GDAL, is that now that elgis x86_64 does not provide
gdal.i386 anymore you have the gdal.i386 v1.4.2 from EPEL which pops
up.
So we need to do something.

Moreover, I wonder why we have python stuff in the gdal package.
Shouldn't it be in the gdal-python package?

As for my personal case, I only install the x86_64 binaries in
general, and I know how to fiddle with repo files.
So, this is a general issue, that I'm afraid may cause problems to
end-users. I think we should find a solution before it moves to
stable...