[El] map.vim

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Nov 3 16:09:12 EDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 03:23 PM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> It's not specific to el-gis in any way. I'd guess that vim users would go
>> else where to find that syntax file, and not even think to look for a RHEL
>> rpm.
>>
> My understanding is that this is a mapserver specific vim syntax file,
> so why do you think that it is out of our scope?
>
> Nobody will be forced to install it, but many people might find handy
> not to have to download and manually impact something under /usr/share
> .

 From what I understand, you can drop any *.vim syntax file into
~/.vim/syntax and it will be used. No need to do anything in /usr.
I just never came across any package that has its own syntax file for
vi. The vim-common rpm comes with the standard syntax files: c.vim,
php.vim, spec.vim etc. Other than that the syntax files go into the
user's home dir.
Neither Debian's nor Ubuntu's mapserver package contain a map.vim.
But since you guys are doing the work, as you wish...

> (I'm personally not using syntax files, but in general I avoid having
> stuff under /usr which is not managed by RPMs, in order to have
> repeatable installation procedures also on workstations)

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918
http://surfaces.co.il