[El] About packaging JAI

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Thu Nov 11 04:05:02 EST 2010

Hi Ralph,

> I'd like to share my conclusions about packaging of Java Advanced
> Imaging:

thanks for looking at this, this is indeed the basis of almost
everything Java GIS...

> - source code is available, but may not be freely distributed (JRL, JDL)

are binary distributable?

If I'm not mistaken, the uDig project does include a JRE with JAI in
its distributions, and I always wondered how they could do this
legally.

> - therefore, publish a src.rpm only, including a fetch script but no
> sources proper

So, it should then be rebuilt on deployment sites?

> - accept failure of the fetch-script ( like

That's in case there is no network connectivity?

Cheers,

Mathieu