[El] gdal-java

Viji V Nair viji at fedoraproject.org
Fri Nov 19 06:16:54 EST 2010

On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Mathieu Baudier <mbaudier at argeo.org> wrote:
>> http://viji.fedorapeople.org/SPECS/gdal.spec
>> http://viji.fedorapeople.org/SRPMS/gdal-1.7.3-1.fc14.src.rpm
>
> Can you please clarify which gdal spec was taken as a basis for this?

The spec is based on fedora 14, the spec in the link as well as on the
srpm are the same.

> We recently worked on PCRaster support etc., and I would like to make
> sure that we won't loose features if we switch to an EPEL supported
> GDAL.

There should not be a problem, let me know how it goes.

> What will be the update policy of this package in EPEL?
> (e.g. when GDAL 1.8 is out?)

Will update to the latest, depends on the base libraries/version
dependencies. If there is any show stopper, can maintain it in your
repo as well.

> Which versions of proj4 and geos are you planning to maintain as well?
> (since gdal depends on them)

These two libraries are available in fedora for a long time

geos-3.2.1
proj-4.7.0

> GDAL is one of the most critical component of the stack, since most
> other software depends on it, and I would like to better understand
> your long term commitment in maintaining it, beyond the current needs
> you may now have.

There are now 8 people (including me) maintaining/co-maintaining GDAL
for EPEL and Fedora. If you see the change logs, we are
updating/upgrading/doing bug fixes regularly, it is being maintained
consistently since 2007.

Hope this clarify your doubts

Thanks
Viji