[El] gdal-java

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Fri Nov 19 06:35:46 EST 2010

Thanks for your quick answer!

> Will update to the latest, depends on the base libraries/version
> dependencies. If there is any show stopper, can maintain it in your
> repo as well.

Excellent, I would like to avoid maintaining it in ELGIS if it is
maintained in EPEL.
Again, our goal is to complete EPEL.

>> Which versions of proj4 and geos are you planning to maintain as well?
>> (since gdal depends on them)
>
> These two libraries are available in fedora for a long time

This list is focusing on RHEL and derivatives such as CentOS, so my
questions are actually about EPEL, not Fedora.

> There are now 8 people (including me) maintaining/co-maintaining GDAL
> for EPEL and Fedora. If you see the change logs, we are
> updating/upgrading/doing bug fixes regularly, it is being maintained
> consistently since 2007.

What I see here:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/repoview/gdal.html

is that the GDAL verison currently in EPEL is 1.4.2 and the latest changelog is:

Changelog by Balint Cristian (2007-08-09):
- bootstrap for EPEL without grass

GDAL being a critical component (and using the EPEL version implying
that proj4 and geos will be maintained in EPEL as well), you probably
understand my cautiousness.

Don't get me wrong: I'm more than happy if we don't have to maintain
these packages and if more people are using them.
I just want to check whether we will again be in a situation where
important packages are not updated regularly. (which would actually
not be a big deal, since we could always take over).