Usage of yum repos (was Re: [El] Re: Back!!!!)

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Wed Jan 12 04:09:03 EST 2011

> Thanks! I finally figured out how to get EPEL and ELGIS repos working
> together, got everything downloaded, and it looks like I've got a full GDAL
> packge with everything working! (This was my first experience with yum and

I'm glad that you got it to work!

But in the future, please rather open a new thread with a new subject
when you have a question.

> "repos".) Since I never knew any better I've always just built from source
> and then fought with the system trying to resolve dependencies. Yum is
> almost too easy! It sure looks like a better way to manage software too.

Yes, yum (which is a wrapper around rpm) makes everything much easier
(esp. if you need to remove stuff, which is sometimes tricky with
software compiled and installed with make install).

We strive to have the latest stable versions of the main FLOSS GIS
software available, so using these repos will allow you to focus of
what you want to achieve with the software instead of on its
installation.
Please note that for RHEL/CentOS 6, most software will be maintained
directly in EPEL.

If you think that the documentation could have been clearer / more
complete on how to setup the combination EPEL + ELGIS repos, please
let us know (e.g. the steps you had to go through which were not
properly documented).
I would like the setup to be as easy as possible for people who are
not that familiar with yum...