[El] RHEL5: Problem with Qgis 1.6.0 and some python-dependant plugins

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Wed Mar 30 15:12:37 EDT 2011

Hi Volker:

The compile of GRASS on a fresh install of Scientific Linux 6 was quite
painless. All dependencies were available from EPEL. Which leads me to
believe that making an RPM should also be smooth. I see that on Fedora
the GRASS rpms are divided into two: grass and grass-libs (actually
there's also grass-devel, of course). I don't know how to do this. With
some guidance I'd be willing to try to build a set of rpms.

Trying to get QGIS to work on RHEL5 will, as you probably know, be a
constant uphill battle. With all the new python 2.6 requirements it
means constantly jumping thru hoops just to get it to work. THen, a week
later some new plugin for QGIS will come out, which needs another new
python package which will also not be available... I'm not sure the
effort would be worth it. RHEL 6 is now what people will be using for
desktops, with SL-6 already out, and CentOS-6 probably quite near...

Regards,

Micha

On 03/30/2011 06:41 PM, Volker Fröhlich wrote:

> I'm planning to put QGIS into EPEL, but haven't done so, since we're missing
> Grass there. Sadly the maintainer disappeared several months ago. Maybe I'll
> build one without Grass support for 1.7. I might have to take the ownership of
> GDAL as well, but I don't have a lot of time and there are still several
> glitches in the GDAL packages.
>
> Volker
>
> See http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GIS#Missing_dependencies_in_EPEL

>>> ELGIS will be available for ELGIS, but the plan is to have more
>>> packages maintained by EPEL for EL 6 (there are already quite a few
>>> there).
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I saw that gdal-1.7.2-1.el6.i686 and proj-4.7.0-1.el6.i686 are already
>> there.
>>
>> Do you know if Qgis is one of the packages that should pass to EPEL  ?
>>
>> I'm curious about this because I need to migrate the machine I'm using
>> at work from RHEL5 to RHEL6, but I can not try this until gdal, proj,
>> qgis (and hopefully grass) will be available for RHEL6.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mauricio

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918