[El] RFC: package imposm

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Fri May 13 05:02:07 EDT 2011

--------Volker Fröhlich <volker27 at gmx.at> wrote--------
Subject: Re: [El] RFC: package imposm
Date: 12.05.2011 21:34

>Dear Peter!

Hi Volker

>What makes it different from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql
>?

>From a very practical POV, we are using http://code.google.com/p/mapserver-utils/ for rendering OSM maps with MapServer and mapserver-utils is switching to the schema generated by imposm, probably dropping the support for osm2pgsl.

AFAIK, imposm does a lot of data sanitation, so that it should be possible to have more performant WMS services. As an example, have a look at http://code.google.com/p/mapserver-utils/source/browse/trunk/buildings.map and compare it to http://code.google.com/p/mapserver-utils/source/browse/branches/imposm-branch/buildings.map. The situation where you have to checks like (building is not null and building!='no' and building!='false') are quite common when using osm2pgsql.

>There is no release so far. This is just so common for OSM software! Does
>it
>work fine?
>
>I knocked together a rough version of the package:
>
>http://www.geofrogger.net/review/python-
>imposm-2.1.3-0.1.git175839e322c8.fc14.src.rpm

Wow! I'll have a look at this today. As a first feedback, the package builds without any problems. Anyway, I have a small problem installing it:

The package depends on python-psycopg2, which depends on postgresql-libs, whereas we do depend on postgresql84-libs.

We could rebuild python-psycopg2 removing the line:
Requires:       postgresql-libs

so that the package postgresqlclient81.x86_64 would provide the necessary lib, or change the requirements for postgresql84.

>We can work on it together, if you want to.
That'll be great!

>Volker

Peter

R3 GIS Srl - GmbH