[ELGIS] RFC: BuildRequires on postgresql84-devel or postgresql-devel

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Wed May 18 04:40:02 EDT 2011

As Mathieu is finalizing the packages targeted at 5.6, we would like to have some opinions on whether packages as GDAL should BuildRequires on postgresql84-devel or postgresql-devel.
Keep in mind that it was decided, that for 5.6 we target postgresql84 and php53, since the postgresql and php are really old now and a lot of software requires more recent versions.
Depending on postgresql-devel has the advantage of wider compatibility, since it works on 5.5, too.
Depending on postgresql-devel has the advantage that only one postgresql lib is installed, instead of libs for 8.1 and 8.4.
Further, I would propose that the same decision holds for mapserver and mapserver6, too.

Peter

R3 GIS Srl - GmbH
http://www.r3-gis.com