GRASS not working on RHEL Worksation (was Re: [ELGIS] ELGIS 6: all packages now available in testing for 32 and 64 bits)

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Fri Nov 11 02:29:52 EST 2011

> Although I am able to Install/Run GRASS 6.4.1 (32-Bit) under CentOS 6.0 + CR
> Repository, under RHEL 6.1 Workstation: YUM Stops following its Dependency
> Resolution and displays the following Messages:
> Error: Package: gdal-1.8.1-1_0.el6.i386 (elgis-testing)
>           Requires: libxerces-c-3.0.so

1. Are you using ELGIS Testing, with the new packages?
(I guess yes but just to be sure)

2. Does it work (or was it working) if you install GRASS (also v6.4.1)
from ELGIS Stable?

3. Can you please execute:
sudo yum list xerces*

and send us the output?

# Comments
This GRASS spec file comes direct from the current work of Volker for Fedora.
So it is really a "Testing" one (that why I waited that we had already
the core packages in Stable before doing all this).

The RHEL clones (CentOS, SL) provide *all* upstream packages in one
single distribution, whereas upstream doesn't give access to all
packages in each of its subscriptions.

I don't have any RHEL environment to test with, so if anybody else has
access to an RHEL Workstation that would nice to check whether you can
install GRASS, of that we see if it is a general problem or related to
Lawrence environment somehow....