GRASS not working on RHEL Worksation (was Re: [ELGIS] ELGIS 6: all packages now available in testing for 32 and 64 bits)

Lawrence Houston elgis at greenfield.dyndns.org
Sat Nov 12 02:40:49 EST 2011

Mathieu:

Updating my earlier post...

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011, Mathieu Baudier wrote:

> 3. Are you in a position to ask your Red Hat support why the xerces-c
> package is not available?
>
> My understanding is that RHEL Workstation is a superset of RHEL Desktop, and
> according to Tyler it is working there. So maybe there is something wrong
> with your envt.

Using one of Red Hat's 30 Day Server Demos I went "Exploring" through RHN
and learned that xerces-c is actually part of Red Hat's Optional
Repository!!!

> (You enabled EPEL already, didn't you?)

Although the EPEL Repository was enabled, Red Hat's Optional Repository
was NOT...  Sorry!!!

   NOTE: This requirement is Mentioned on EPEL's Web Page for RHEL6 Users

While using the University's Site License the "Regular" RHN Web Site for
Individual Accounts does NOT appear to apply, so I tried adding the
Optional Channel using the rhn-channel command, although I was
unsuccessful...  Therefore I Resorted to Downloading and Manually
installing xerces-c using the Red Hat's 30 Day Demo, after which GRASS
6.4.1 Installed and Ran just beautifully under RHEL 6.1 Workstation!!!

If I had been able to add Red Hat's Optional Channel while using the Site
License Satellite then there should NOT have been any "Problem"...

Lawrence Houston  --  (elgis at greenfield.dyndns.org)