[ELGIS] Repo Madness

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Oct 13 16:44:11 EDT 2011

I've been at this all day but I still don't know what I'm doing, and
it's not working of me yet. I'm trying build a a compatible collection
of GIS software using the ELGIS and related repositories. I once had
this working, then I somehow got postgres 9.0 on there, which started
throwing errors every time I tried to upgrade, so I unloaded everything
and tried to build it back up with yum.

First of all, I'd like to make sure I've got the right repos and that
they are configured correctly. (I'm running CentOS 5.5 Linux) Are these
the right ones?
# yum repolist
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
  * base: mirror.raystedman.net
  * epel: fedora-epel.mirror.lstn.net
  * extras: mirror.team-cymru.org
  * updates: centos.mirror.lstn.net
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Base
Finished
Excluding Packages from CentOS-5 - Updates
Finished
repo id   repo name                                         status
base      CentOS-5 - Base                                   3,538+28
elgis     EL GIS 5 - x86_64                                      136
epel      Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 5 - x86_64       6,740
extras    CentOS-5 - Extras                                      235
pgdg84    PostgreSQL 8.4 5 - x86_64                              150
updates   CentOS-5 - Updates                                     246
repolist: 11,045

In the Centos-Base.repo file I'm told by various docs  to add
'exclude=postgresql*' to the Base and Updates sections. Is that right?
But I'm having trouble getting  a version of postgresql compatible with
Postgis. I think my first problem is that I don't understand
repositories nor yum yet so is there a relevant "how to" or wiki entry
that explains these things in terms of setting up an 8.4 version of
postgresql and getting it to work with postgis, gdal, ogr, and all the
rest? The ideal solution for me would be a cookbook recipe that provides
All the steps from file preparation to reloading the database plus all
the steps in between. But I've scraped this computer down to the bare
metal twice but not been able to get a working GIS machine out of it yet.

The repo files are in /etc/yum.repos.d/ (which is consistent with what
yum.conf has in it) and it appears that it wants to use the
/etc/lib/pgsql/data for the data.

If I need to supply additional telemetry to diagnose the problem(s) ,
just ask me. I'm sort of at the end of my rope here, and not too sure
what to try next.

TIA ,

Bill Thoen