Support for PostgreSQL 9.x (was Re: [ELGIS] Repo Madness [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED])

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Mon Oct 17 03:48:38 EDT 2011

On 10/16/2011 11:43 PM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
>> Postgres 9.1 (and associated PostGIS) introduces some very desirable
>> features, notably (streaming) synchronous replication.
> Should we then try to support a version of PostGIS built against PostgreSQL?
> Is there interest?
On our servers we do run EL6 with PG 9.1 from yum.postgresql.org for the
above mentioned streaming replication, that some customers required.
But, from the POV of ELGIS, I'm not so sure that forcing users to remove
the native PostgreSQL and force them to switch to 9.1 is that good. If
you do not need treaming replication, 8.4 is a very fine PostgreSQL
release. Think of people paying support for RHEL: If they do have issues
with PostgreSQL, then they can not rely on Red Hat support , any more.
There is even a large overlap between packages in ELGIS and in pgdg, e.g
proj, geos, postgis, .... We could think of something like 2 EL
versione, one for standard EL6, one for EL6 + pgdg. But that would
increase the complexity sensibly. Some packages, like PostGIS, tend to
be more complex in upstream Fedora and pgdg, since multiple PostgreSQL
versions (9.0, 9.1) are now possible.

Peter