[ELGIS] What is the EL-GIS Plus repository for?

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Tue Dec 4 06:54:21 PST 2012

> My first question would be, for example, what is the EL-GIS Plus repository
> for?

In ELGIS 5 (supporting RHEL/CentOS/SL 5) there were some packages
(mostly QGIS) which required to override the base OS. We put them in a
separate repo named plus 'Plus' like the CentOS Plus repository which
does the same.

In ELGIS6 we haven't found such limitation so far. But since our
mission is to provide the latest versions of the GIS libraries, we
will probably face the same issue at some point during the EL6
lifecycle (RHEL does not update the versions of the base libraries
within the lifecycle of a major version).
So I kept the Plus repository configured, even though it is currently empty.

You don't need to take care of it at this stage.