[ELGIS] PgRpms PostgreSQL. Why not?

Peter Hopfgartner peter.hopfgartner at r3-gis.com
Mon Mar 26 03:02:51 EDT 2012

On 03/25/2012 09:54 AM, Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) wrote:
> Hello,
> sorry if this is a FAQ, but I didn't find any precise information
> about the issues with pgrpms provided PostreSQL packages.
If you handle the priorities in the yum configuration carefully, then
there are no real issues.
> ELGIS is great in providing the most recent version of GIS stuff, but
> stickes to EPEL provided version of Pg, which is a fairly old 8.4
> version.
8.4 is an excellent PostgreSQL release. If you like to keep things
simpIe and don't need any of the features of the newer releases, then
keep the system PostgreSQL.
If you need a newer version of PG, then consider the fact, that, AFAIK,
the wire protocol in PostgreSQL did not change since version 7.4
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/protocol.html), so there is
no intrinsic adavantage to update the clients. You only need to update
PostGIS, which depends on the PostgreSQL server. Everything else depends
simply on libpq, where you can keep the system provided one in parallel
to the 9.1 version.

> What are the specific issues with these packages? Is it feasible to
> reconcile the two efforts. It would be much better to have a
> continuously updated version of PostgreSQL. So why not?

Hope this helps,

Peter

--
Peter Hopfgartner