[EU] European "partwise" Open Source GIS-Tender

Dirk Frigne dirk.frigne at geosparc.com
Tue Nov 29 07:41:25 PST 2016

Thank you Till for sharing this tender,
Thank you Maria for your comments,

I also was discouraged, reading that Eurostats wants a shift towards
open source (which is imho the right choice and a very good decision!),
but at the other hand, strictly restrict part of the experience to one
particular service provider, with a 4 letter word as abbreviation.

What I think we should do (from OSGeo) is writing a letter where we
encourage the initiative, present the OSGeo foundation, and ask why the
tender is not divided in two lots: one for open source services, and one
for services from a specific proprietary system.

We should also write that a lot of community members of OSGeo, working
for businesses with an business model based on open source software
values, are interested to work together to provide an answer to this
tender, if the specific proprietary know how was not requested. (in
other words, if there where two separated lots in the tender).

We should mention that we (from the OSGeo community) are convinced that
solutions fully based on open source technology are a perfect
replacement for any proprietary system out there today, and that the
change for vendor lock-in is much smaller with such solutions.

Apart what OSGeo could do, I think we (the individuals belonging to
commercial service providers) can start an initiative to form a
consortium so we can provide an answer to such questions if we spot a
new opportunity.

But even then I think it is very ambitious to shift such an amount of
'good professional quality' in such a sort term, that I think that we
also should promote and work on capacity building trough initiatives
such as Geo4all.

Dirk

Yours sincerely,

ir. Dirk Frigne