[EU] European "partwise" Open Source GIS-Tender

till.adams at fossgis.de till.adams at fossgis.de
Tue Nov 29 23:50:19 PST 2016

Hi Jachym, @all

I agree in nearly every issue you list up. The tender I posted is more
about "hiring people" for manifold projects, so the goal is not one big
all singing, all dancing application, it's more a "work on demand" in
various projects for various agencies.

Especially for this kind of tender I see the great chance to share this
tender and divide it at least into two (or even more) parts:
One proprietary and one open source part.

The procedure they selected shows to me, that people in EU
administration on the one side take note of (and even see the need for)
Open Source, but do not understand our business, our community and how
Open Source works at all.
My goal is, to take this tender as an example and try to start a
discussion with them - because if nobody is there, that explains our
business, things will not change in future.
And in general: In my understanding this is one of OSGeo-EU's core
goals: http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe

;-) Till

Am 2016-11-29 11:57, schrieb Jáchym Čepický:
> I would like to note: I agree what  Till concludes. I see companies
> in Europe (I had chance to participate on some EU-founded projects,
> where I meat large companies too) and they are all in favor for open
> source, even then do not really contribute back and they are likely
> not part of the community. But they are big enought, to get one-two
> small partners (who usually do the dirty job) and are able to go for
> such tender.
>
> Big IT tenders in public administration are IMHO evil in general.
> They asked for the money, they got it and want a system, which does
> *everything*. No place for small expert groups, like we usually are.
>
> What to do about it? Get in people hads, this is not the way, how to
> support MEs. And not the way, you get something functional any time
> soon (agile). We started on local level, people seem to start
> listening. But EU-level? I have no idea whom to approach

> Dne 28.11.2016 v 12:29 till.adams at fossgis.de napsal(a):
>> Maria,
>>
>> I guess "lobbying" is the word I would use in german too. And yes,
>> feel
>> encouraged in putting our European Chapter forward (and count on
>> me).
>>
>> Indeed, an open letter of several European Open Source companies was
>> one
>> of the ideas on my list :-).
>> I heard that there is the possibility of a notify of defects in
>> European
>> tenders, but I am not aware where to direct to (but I will care).
>> The good thing is, that this defecting has no legal aspects, it's
>> more a
>> "possibility to complain".
>>
>> So that could also be one (equal) text sent to them from different
>> companies (and different countries as well).
>> I am sure we also could count on Dirk Frigne's GeoSparc here.
>>
>> I could write a first draft of that text, but would like to wait for
>> some more opinions here.
>>
>> Another idea was a formal letter from a European OSGeo regional
>> chapter,
>> but that's somehow the hen and egg problem:
>> As long as we do not have a formalized European chapter....
>>

>> Maybe this tender is a kick in our a..., that we needed to inspirit
>> this
>> European chapter.
>>
>> Till

>>> Hi Till,
>>>
>>> Part of the idea of the european chapter was precisely to be able
>>> ¿lobby? in favor of open source. (I am not sure if lobby is the
>>> right
>>> word, in Spanish it has a bad meaning, related to corruption). In
>>> GeoCat we discussed this internally and it was very discouraging
>>> that
>>> it was so ESRI oriented.
>>>
>>> While we solve the legal issues about setting up an official
>>> european
>>> chapter (which reminds me, we have a list of TO-DO things