[EU] Chapter creation as NGO

MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 02:30:40 PST 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 11:23 AM, Ari Jolma <ari.jolma at gmail.com> wrote:

> What would the source of income for OSGeo EU be? The FOSS4G Europe? Would it
> assume the financial risk? What would it use its money for? Code sprints
> etc? What would the yearly turnover be, approximately? Maybe 10 000?

That's a very good question.

In my mind, besides the main events (which should be autosustainable?)
and subsidies, we should accept generic donations by web.

We can also encourage people to give money on each minor event we do,
as artists on the street do. Even if it is not a big amount of money,
it is a reminder that this has some cost, but if you cannot pay it,
it's not that important. And coin by coin, it can be a huge amount
that can be useful for organizing other minor events.

What we do with the budget should be voted I think, but as you say,
codesprints and other minor events will be a good thing to sponsor.
And lobbying to the EC to encourage promoting open software.