[EU] Chapter creation as NGO

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Jan 11 05:47:03 PST 2017

Hi María, all,

I am in full support of an official non-profit organization, around the
EU chapter of OSGeo.

Dirk and others know that I have been trying to help this along for
years now, even in person in meetings with Dirk, and I do understand the
importance of this official entity - it will open doors and give
opportunities.

The QGIS project did create its own official entity, QGIS.ORG registered
in Switzerland, but as a for-profit organization - I also supported that
creation, initially discussing with Tim and others, and it seems to be
doing great for their needs (similar to OSGeo, they just released their
2016 financial report and are discussing their 2017 budget).

So I feel attached to this discussion, and am interested to help the
EU/Europe chapter formation along.  I also volunteer to help, and to be
listed as an initial member (before you laugh, consider that I have
attended almost all FOSS4G-Europe events, and never attended a single
FOSS4G-NorthAmerica event: that fact should show you the importance of
Europe for the OSGeo community).

I have read this whole thread and am interested in seeing this through.

So keep up the great momentum! :)

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna