[EU] Chapter creation as NGO

Till Adams till.adams at fossgis.de
Wed Jan 11 06:39:40 PST 2017

Dear all,

we also get support from Canada! Great ;-)
(@Jeff, can't find you on the initial member's list:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Europe)

I would suggest to pick up Steven's thoughts, especially the latter one.
It seems, that Belgium or the Netherlands offer us the possibility to
establish what we need:
(Relatively) rapid and trouble-free creation of a non-profit organisation.

If we all agree on this, my proposal is, that one of our next step is to
decide, in which of the countries we will be in the best hands.

For both countries we have at least one person, that has experience in
this (thanks to Marc and Dirk), so this is not an issue, I personally
would not fear having some minor costs, if they help us to keep our
organisation transparent. Also we have people, that are willing to
support them and be initial founding members (Maria, me-myself-and-I)
Perhaps you Dirk and Marc might list up the backgrounds about founding a
non-profit organisation in either of the countries we need in order to
be able to decide?
(and while writing another suggestion, Estonia came in, thanks Ian!)

And before we do that, I'd suggest, that we agree on a way for
decision-making, because that's an important part of an active community
for me. Exchanging tons of emails is one way, but this does not push us
forward one meter, if we are not able to decide anything.

My proposal is to adapt the regular OSGeo voting system as defined here:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Board_Voting_Procedure

As we do not have a "board" for now (and even do not know, whether we
need one), I'd suggest, that everybody listed on the initial member site
is allowed to vote (and everybody else is free to add her/himself to
that list). Also calls for a vote might be done by everybody on that list.

Last thing, the hen and egg problem: No established decision process
prevents us from establishing a decision process .... so let's discuss
this ;-)

Till