[Europe] Urgent: Status of [OSGeo Europe]

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 01:24:23 PDT 2021

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 10:17 AM Angelos Tzotsos <gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I think there is value in keeping the NGO:
> I recently talked with ESA (there is a possibility for a sponsorship) and
> it can only be done through an EU legal entity. I assume, this would also
> be needed in other cases.

This reminds me, the sponsoring of the European Commission for this year's
FOSS4G in Argentina has been done thanks to the NGO based on Italy (GFOSS).
Because they are going to be behind 2022 and the contract is for both
years, it made sense that they did all the paperwork and received the
transfer.

They wouldn't have been able to sponsor us without an European entity. And
we thought on European sponsors to help us act as legal bridge, but we
didn't remember we have this. We should have remembered it!

So... yes, it makes sense to have a legal entity in EU. If the relationship
grows and becomes stronger, we may have more sponsoring coming from them.
Or from similar entities that need a European based counterpart in OSGeo.

I guess that may also cover expenses from keeping it open?