[fdo-dev] [Proposal] FGF<->WKB converters as common utils

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Aug 8 17:15:40 EDT 2006

Gavin Cramer wrote:
> Those functions are part of the FDO SDK.  Any provider can use them,
> as well as any client.
>
> Excluding the factory, FdoGeometry is a pure API too -- one can even
> re-implement it to be a wrapper around any other geometry package,
> and just call FdoGeometryFactoryAbstract::CreateGeometry(FdoIGeometry
> * geometry) to do all conversions.  Note that FdoFgfGeometryFactory
> extends the non-FGF-specific FdoGeometryFactoryAbstract, and that all
>  FGF-specific methods are in that one FdoFgfGeometryFactory class.

Gavin,

Excause me, but I think there is some misunderstanding.
The purpose of FdoGeometry and FdoFgfGeometryFactory APIs
is clear for me.

I'm talking about GeometryFromWkb() and WkbFromGeometry()
functions (which are not a part of the SDK and public API) from:

fdordbms/trunk/Providers/GenericRdbms/Src/MySQL/Driver/Geometry.h
fdordbms/trunk/Providers/GenericRdbms/Src/MySQL/Driver/Geometry.c

I'm working on PostGIS provider and I need exactly the same functions.
So, there are two options:
1) copy Geometry.c and Geometry.h to the PostGIS provider directory
fdordbms/trunk/Providers/GenericRdbms/Src/PostGIS/Driver
2) copy Geometry.c and Geometry.h to some common place for all providers

The second possibility is IMHO the best because of code reuse practice
and to not to keep *the same* code in more than one places.

That was just an idea, and I'd not want to start long discussion about
such a trivial thing :-)
So, I'll just keep my own copy of Geometry.h and Geometry.c files

Best regards