[fdo-internals] FDO Port to 64 Bit Windows

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 2 18:26:45 EDT 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I just wanted to give the community a heads up that I am looking into
> the possibility of formally porting the FDO API and the FDO SDF provider
> to build and run in a 64 bit Windows environment. I can relate the
> specific details of my efforts in a subsequent email. For now,  I was
> just wondering if the community thought an RFC was required for such a
> task.

Greg,

I don't think an RFC is needed for this unless you forsee changing
some of the public APIs (altered data types for instance) or introducing
substantial new portability mechanisms.  I do think a "tracking bug" for
changes related to 64bit support would be useful.

Note, the core API and gdal provider work fine on my 64bit linux system
after the changes I incorporated a year ago or so.  That is the core api
and fdo gdal unit tests pass.

So hopefully most of your effort can be focused on the sdf provider.  I've
kicked around the idea of making the shape provider 64bit clean so I'd have
at least one vector provider I can use on my system.