[fdo-internals] Re: Motion: To create a trunk/Tools directory

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Aug 2 20:07:52 EDT 2007

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Motion: To create a trunk/Tools directory in subversion for user oriented
> commandline and gui programs such as fdo2fdo and fdorastutil.  One
> subdirectory
> will be created for each tool.  Such tools will only be adopted into the
> "standard build" once they have been adopted by the FDO PSC - before
> that they
> are unsupported "contributed" tools and not part of the standard builds.
>
> ---
>
> My intent is that the Tools directory is a somewhat informal place that
> new tools can be contributed and developed.  A more formal step will be
> taken before the FDO project starts taking responsibility for particular
> Tools.

Folks,

It seems we had broad support for this motion and no negative reactions, so
I have gone ahead and created the Tools directory and migrated my
"fdorastutil" to it from the Providers/GDAL/testwrk directory.

I created a small README.TXT in the Tools directory where I hope new tools will
be listed, and to keep their status clear.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/browser/trunk/Tools

Haris - feel free to move your fdo2fdo stuff in here, and when I get a
chance I'll see what I can do to get the commandline version building on
linux.