[fdo-internals] PostgreSQL out of Thirdparty

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Dec 6 08:24:02 EST 2007

Hi Folks,

Perhaps I've forgot what was the rationale to keep PostgreSQL files in
Thirdparty, so I'm sorry if I did but I'd like to take up this subject
for a while.

In my opinion, private copy of PostgreSQL files is confusing and makes
more troubles than it helps.
I would propose to build PostGIS provider following the same strategy as
for MySQL (FDOMYSQL), using external/user's installation of PostgreSQL
files (FDOPOSTGRESQL).

Building PostGIS provider works but runtime still requires PostgreSQL
binaries (libpq.dll), so users need to grab libpq.dll (and all its
dependencies) from somewhere.

IMHO, the simplest solution is:

1. User installs PostgreSQL binaries + dev files. This requirement
does not require users to install and run PostgreSQL DBMS services.
User just needs to know what is minimal version required,
ie. PostgreSQL 8.0

2. User points PostgreSQL files with FDOPOSTGRESQL

3. If FDOPOSTGRESQL is set && PostGIS provider is explicitly requested,
we build the provider.

Looking forward your comments.