[fdo-internals] FOSS4G 2007 Call for Workshops Reminder

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Feb 27 19:30:35 EST 2007

Greg Boone wrote:
> Hi Frank,
>
> Do you think that we should be offering a lecture or a lab at the
> conference? I am leaning towards offering a 1.5 lecture rather than a
> lab. I am concerned that we could get bogged down in a lab and loose
> focus on communicating the message we need. What are your thoughts? Who
> do think would attend this workshop and what would they expect?

Greg,

I didn't realize that 1.5 hour presentations were an option at FOSS4G.
Were you thinking of using a "lab time slot" but in lecture mode?

I think writing FDO applications would be fairly tough to do in a lab.
Things might well get bogged down.  However, if you aren't going to do it
as a lab, then I think you might just scale back to a normal half-hour
presentation and try to prepare tutorial material that folks could try at
home.  The presentation could then be an overview, and going through some
examples in some detail, while the tutorial material is essentially a
workshop that folks do at home.  The tutorial presumably living on the fdo
web site.

Just my opinion of course.