[fdo-internals] RE: FDO raster image data model does not provide the actual number of bits used by certain image data formats (Re: FdoRfc1 & FdoRfc2)

Greg Boone greg.boone at autodesk.com
Thu Mar 22 12:20:00 EDT 2007

Hi Frank,

I took a second look at the possibility of implementing computational
functions on the FdoRasterDataModel.

I finally 'clued in' that FdoRasterDataModel is not actually implemented
at the provider level. Since it is not an interface, it is implemented
only at the FDO API level and is meant to be an information type object
created by the provider OR a client of the provider and set through
FdoIRaster::SetDataModel.

Such a mechanism allows the provider implementation to set the default
raster data model when the FdoIRaster instance is generated by the
provider. It also allows the client to manipulate the raster image by
changing its data model once it obtains access to FdoIRaster. By setting
the values in the data model, a client would affect the information
returned from FdoIRaster::GetStreamReader.

Once I remembered the details, I would now suggest that a computational
action such as GetMinMax would be better specified on the FdoIRaster
interface itself, and have it be separated from the definition of the
data model.

I would still argue that having both MinMax and BitsUsedPerPixel is a
more flexible system. It should be up to the client to determine what
information is relative to their needs and make the appropriate API
call.

As for obtaining MinMax from ATIL, I was mistaken. Jeff correctly
pointed out that it is available for certain formats.