[fdo-internals] Remove Generated Files

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 29 19:19:58 EDT 2007

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Greg Boone wrote:
>> IMHO... I would seriously consider removing all generated files and
>> require the user call build_linux.sh, which is what the documentation
>> suggests now.
>
> I'm all for that. IMO this is a very good practice, especially if a
> project does follow GNU configuration based on ./configure script,
> Makefile.am files and autotools chain.
>
> In comparison, this is not true for GDAL, so it would be not easy to
> remove ./configure and brothers from the repo.

Greg,

I, on the other hand, think this is a bad idea.  If the environment is
at all sensitive to the version of automake and autoconf, forcing developers
working from SVN to rebuild all the derived files runs the significant risk
of problems related to them having the wrong versions of automake and autoconf.

I've been driven away from involvement in a number of projects by this sort
of a annoyances, and I think we would be making it harder for people to be
involved in FDO causually.