[fdo-internals] Standardising FDO Schema's

Robert Fortin robert.fortin at autodesk.com
Fri Aug 29 15:08:01 EDT 2008

As Orest said, FDO represents the data in different layer Datastore, Schema and Class. That's the rule.  That's the standard.

The fact that some provider doesn't have/require schema doesn't mean we don't need a generic schema representation in FDO.  It's up to the provider to say what this schema is named and what it maps to (e.g. default or something else). FDO doesn't impose rules around the name of the schema.

For example, removing the schema from SHP would result that you could have 2 flavors of shp depending on the connection.  Connect to a single file and you get no schema.  Connect to a directory and you get a schema name "default".  SHP provider standardize to using "default" every time.

Also applications relies on that standard: there will be a schema and it will have a name.  This result in consistant representation of the schemas and classes in a tree view for example. Changing this behavior has impacts on applications relying on that standard.

Robert