[fdo-internals] RFC 20 for review

Dan Stoica dan.stoica at autodesk.com
Fri Jul 18 11:09:58 EDT 2008

Hi,

Jason, it is not a general desire, the current state of things is not new and is really painful. Yet another example: SqlServer 2008 requires geodetic polygons in strict CCW orientation. On the other hand, SHP require CW orientation. We also need to address it -now-- for everybody's benefit. Other benefits can follow, e.g. we could enhance CreatePolygon() to take an optional parameter to control the orientation.

*         It's too easy to break the concept of generic capabilities.

In my opinion we are done with generic capabilities. The problem at hand is that it appears to be very difficult to address specific limitations with the current approach. And not being able to add quickly a capability means the user will be forced to do something against the FDO philosophy: check the provider name etc. :(

Thanks,
Dan.