[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Mar 18 13:41:42 EDT 2008

Traian Stanev wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just posted FDO RFC #16. Fresh off the virtual presses (printed on 100%
> recycled electrons, for you green-minded folks):
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/fdo/wiki/FDORfc16

Traian,

I love the idea!  I'd like to see the spatial reference system support
being closely modelled on the OGC Simple Feature spec for the table
format - which implies WKT, not just EPSG codes.

I'd also like to see WKB supported smoothly in addition to FGF.  I'd
also like to see a corresponding geometry_columns table per the SFS
spec perhaps with special values in the geometry type column for FGF
geometries, or even an extra column which indicates format and might
contain values like WKT, WKB, and FGF.

I'd like to improve the OGR SQLite driver to support the same "geo-SQLite"
conventions used for this FDO provider, so if you can provide some sample
SQLite databases I'll work from them.

I'd be willing to document and prepare demonstration SQLite databases with
using my proposed geometry_columns and spatial_ref_sys tables if that would
be helpful for the RFC.