[fdo-internals] FDO RFC 16 - FDO Provider for SQLite

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Tue Mar 18 23:20:21 EDT 2008

Jason Birch wrote:
> [...]
> The use of custom functions in SQLite is certainly an option, but I'd
> really like to see the output-centric version of this "format" that
> Traian has outlined first.   I'd prefer to see a persisted, native,
> spatial index in SQLite also, but that seems like a fairly
> large-scope item, and would probably require coordination with the
> SQLite project to implement.

I don't have any strong position about extending the SQLite engine.
I dropped in opinions to cover the subject with deeper discussion, so to
understand all pros and cons better.

Simply, considering portability, it would be easier to exchange SQLite
spatial databases if there are AsText and AsBinary functions built-int.

Greetings