[fdo-internals] Zero-length Data Properties

Jackie C. Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 04:47:13 EDT 2008

Hi All,

I have two related questions about Data Properties

A) Why does FDO allow zero-length string/CLOB/BLOB data properties? In my
feeble little mind, zero-length strings/CLOBs/BLOBs makes no sense
whatsoever.

B) I noticed that for some providers, the GetMaximumDataValueLength() method
returns -1 for string/BLOB/CLOB properties. The same goes for
GetMaximumDecimalPrecision() and GetMaximumPrecisionScale(). If I were to do
something like this:

ISchemaCapabilities capabilities;
DataPropertyDefinition def = new DataPropertyDefinition("StringProp", "");
def.Length =
capabilities.GetMaximumDataValueLength(DataType.DataType_String);

It would throw an exception because the Length property of
DataPropertyDefinition can't be negative. So what should this value (-1) be
interpreted as?

- Jackie

-----
http://themapguyde.blogspot.com