[fdo-internals] FDO 3.7.0 Beta 1 Released

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Wed Dec 14 12:01:49 EST 2011

Hi Greg,

I was planning to use GDAL binaries for both Windows and Linux and modify the build process to reference downloaded “SDKs”.

http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries

GDAL Windows SDKs for VS2010, VS2008, 32bit and 64 bit are available from http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/
gdal and gdal-devel RPMs are available for RedHat/CentOS 5 http://elgis.argeo.org/
gdal and gdal-dev DEB packages are also available from UbuntuGIS Launchpad https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ppa/+packages

GDAL with all its dependencies is a fairly large install image with more than 40 dlls.  Here is a current list of dlls contained in the VS2010 64bit binaries http://www.gisinternals.com/sdk/Download.aspx?file=release-1600-x64-gdal-1-8-mapserver-6-0.zip.  Some of the dlls come in when plugins are loaded.  For GDAL 1.6, the minimum dll set for Windows was approximately 11 dlls.

cairo.dll cfitsio.dll fribidi.dll ftgl.dll gdal18.dll geos_c.dll hdf5dll.dll iconv.dll libcurl.dll libeay32.dll libecwj2.dll libexpat.dll libfcgi.dll libmap.dll libmysql.dll libpq.dll libtiff.dll libxml2.dll lti_dsdk.dll lti_lidar_dsdk.dll msvcp100.dll msvcr100.dll netcdf.dll openjpeg.dll pdflib.dll proj.dll spatialite.dll sqlite3.dll ssleay32.dll xerces-c_2_8.dll zlib1.dll
plugins/gdal_BAG.dll gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll gdal_FITS.dll gdal_GEOR.dll gdal_GMT.dll gdal_HDF5.dll gdal_HDF5Image.dll gdal_MrSID.dll gdal_netCDF.dll ogr_OCI.dll ogr_PG.dll

There are a lot of interesting dlls in the mix.  Some of these dlls are do require separate vendor licensing (ERDAS, LizardTech) so we could not distribute all of them.

openjpeg.dll – This may provide open source JPEG2000 support http://www.gdal.org/frmt_jp2openjpeg.html
gdal_ECW_JP2ECW.dll, libecwj2.dll – Support for ECW, JPEG2000 http://www.gdal.org/frmt_ecw.html
gdal_MrSID.dll, lti_dsdk.dll – Support for MrSID, JPEG2000 http://www.gdal.org/frmt_mrsid.html
gdal_MrSID.dll, lti_lidar_dsdk.dll – LizardTech LiDAR(?) http://www.gdal.org/frmt_mrsid_lidar.html