[fdo-internals] Create a branch for GDAL 1.9 upgrade

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Wed Jan 4 17:01:30 EST 2012

Hi list,

As part of a minor "resample method" enhancement for the FDO GDAL Provider, I am in the process of upgrading Thirdparty/gdal to version 1.9.  Version 1.9 is in release candidate mode and RC1 may be the official 1.9.0 release http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/gdal-dev-Motion-Promote-GDAL-1-9-0RC1-as-GDAL-1-9-0-Final-td7141429.html.

I would like to create a sandbox based on trunk "sandbox/gdal19" for getting these changes into Subversion without immediately affecting FDO 3.7.  Ideally, I would like to roll the GDAL 1.9 update into 3.7.  For now, I will be replacing the existing GDAL 1.7 sources with 1.9 sources and making minor modifications to some of the build control files (nmake.opt, vcxproj) to support the switchover.  The Windows compile seems to fairly clean - I haven't had to touch any .cpp or .h files to build 32 bit Windows.  I haven't run the unit tests to see if anything is broken with the FDO OGR or GDAL providers yet.

I am building with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 and expect the have the VC 2010 builds (32 and 64 bit) working and unit tested before the end of the month - probably sooner.

Please let me know if this is ok.  I can also write up an RFC for the GDAL 1.9 upgrade if necessary (didn't see any for previous GDAL upgrades).

From the NEWS for GDAL/OGR 1.9, there are a number of new features/drivers over 1.7:

[For GDAL/OGR 1.9.0]
* New GDAL drivers: ACE2, CTG, E00GRID, ECRGTOC, GRASSASCIIGrid, GTA, NGSGEOID, SNODAS, WebP, ZMap
* New OGR drivers:  ARCGEN, CouchDB, DWG, EDIGEO, FileGDB, Geomedia, GFT, IDRISI, MDB, SEGUKOOA, SEGY, SVG, XLS
* Significantly improved drivers: NetCDF
* Encoding support for shapefile/dbf (#882)
* RFC 35: Delete, reorder and alter field definitions of OGR layers
* RFC 37: Add mechanism to provide user data to CPLErrorHandler (#4295)
* gdalsrsinfo: new supported utility to report SRS in various form (supercedes testepsg)

[For GDAL/OGR 1.8.0]
* New GDAL drivers : GTX, HF2, JPEGLS, JP2OpenJPEG, JPIPKAK, KMLSUPEROVERLAY,
                     LOS/LAS, MG4Lidar, NTv2, OZI, PDF, RASDAMAN, XYZ
* New OGR drivers : AeronavFAA, ArcObjects, GPSBabel, HTF, LIBKML, MSSQLSpatial, NAS,
                    OpenAir, PDS, PGDump, SOSI, SUA, WFS
* Significantly improved OGR drivers : DXF, GML
* New implemented RFCs : RFC 7, RFC 24, RFC 28, RFC 29, RFC 30, RFC 33

There have also been improvements/bug fixes to some of the drivers in GDAL 1.7, including Oracle Spatial GeoRaster.

Regards,
Trevor