Connecting to MS SQL 2005

Anant Misra dowereallyneedanid at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 09:56:16 EDT 2006

Hi All,
  I am sure a lot of people have already asked this question.
  There seems to be a lot of confusion in the open source area. Documentations do not clearly demarkate what is in open source and what is not.
  I am evaluating Map Guide to implement some map based systems. I have successfully installed the Map Guide Open source server and I can see a sample PHP application running as well.
  What next?
  Can I connect to a relational database now?
  There seems to be some ODBC connectivity, but I am not sure how to move forward.
  1. I need to know how to connect to a sql server database
  2. put a sample database into ms sql
  3. make a sample application consume data from ms sql.
  4. write custom application that can connect to database.

  I need to understand if 1,2,3 are possible out of box today. Also, what are the tools, testing frameworks etc to code, debug and run the application.
  If for 1, 2, 3 I need to write code, I can write it. But need the basic understanding of what all I need to have in order to jump start with coding on these fronts.
  Need help. Thanks.

  regards